Frank Lloyd Wright, David Wright House, Phoenix, USA, 1950
Frank Lloyd Wright, David Wright House, Phoenix, USA, 1950 (View from google)
The David and Gladys Wright House is a Frank Lloyd Wright residence built in 1952 in the Arcadia neighborhood of Phoenix, Arizona at the address of 5212 N Rubicon Avenue.
This 2,500-square-foot concrete house was designed and built for the architect’s son David and his wife, Gladys, and is situated among orange groves on a site facing north toward Camelback Mountain. The house has a spiral design, with a long curved entry ramp that anticipates the design of the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York. David and Gladys Wright lived in the house until their deaths.
Gladys Wright left the house to granddaughters who sold it. The new buyer in turn sold it to a real estate developer, 8081 Meridian, who planned to demolish the house and develop its 2.2 acre lot. Efforts to protect the building through a heritage designation were begun in August 2012. The house was purchased by an anonymous benefactor in late December 2012, saving it from demolition. The benefactor, Zach Rawling, a Las Vegas attorney, has established a new Arizona non-profit to care for the house, the David and Gladys Wright House Foundation.
Alexandra Niedermayr, Alexandre Maurel, Martin Charachon, Sonja Schneider (March 2017)