Luigi Figini and Gino Polini, Mostra dell’aeronautica, Milan, Italy, 1934
The Italian Aeronautic Exposition was intended to reconstruct the history of the national aeronautics and aviation from its origins to 1934 at the IV Triennale in Milan.
Baldessari thought of the space as if it was a scene of the theater. The exhibition was divided into two parts: one dedicated to those visitors, who have never flown before and could only imagine what the flight is like, and the other one dedicated to the Italian aeronauts.
In the first section there was a game of perspectives created by black walls and curved panels. The panels were covered with photographic augmentations of Leonardo da Vinci’s “Atlantic Code” pages. In this part of the hall visitors could see a ceiling covered with the clouds. In front of the entrance stood a reconstruction of Francesco Lana de Terzi’s flying boat concept.
The second part consists of steel cables shaped as the silhouettes of balloons and a series of blue diaphragms, showing documents about ascending in a balloon. At the end of the tour, emphasized by the background of a black fabric, stood out the model of Don Paolo Andreani’s aerostatic machine.