Giovanni Ponti, Villa Planchart, Caracas, Venezuela, 1954
Giovanni Ponti, Villa Planchart, Calle La Colina – Carracas (Venezuela), 1954
Villa for pair of collectors and promoters of Venezuelan art – Anala and Armando Planchart , who commissioned Ponti to this work in early 50s. Important case study of Gio Ponti’s work, because of the clients willing to gave him the opportunity to create a house full freedom and inventions .
This design is also belived to be the kind of preparation study before such a well known designs as Pirelli Tower. Quite unknown, shows the perfection and mastery of Gio Ponti’s “total architecture” in which he takes care of everything – from the smallest details (furniture and objects of everyday use) to the masterplan (gardens and building itself).
Described by Ponti twice in his magazine – Domus (as a design and after construction) Villa Planchart is one of the most important designs completed by this architect and designer.
Images available from:
- Reference 1: Gio Ponti (official webpage)
- Reference 2: Villa Planchart (blog)
- Book 1: Gio Ponti: Villa Planchart en Caracas
- Magazine 1: (En: Ponti, G. “Una villa ´fiorentina´. Domus, n. 375. Milano, febrero de 1961)
- Magazine 2: “Gio Ponti and the Villa Planchart”, Hélène Lipstadt, Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians
Vol. 57, No. 4 (Dec., 1998), pp. 460-463